Thursday, May 10, 2018

Not Afraid of the Night


Dear Lord, I praise you because you know the hopes of the helpless.  You hear our cries and comfort us. It’s no wonder that my heart is glad, and my tongue shouts your praises!  My body rests in hope.  For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your Holy One to rot in the grave.  You have shown me the way of life, and you will fill me with the joy of your presence. (Psalm 10:17; Acts 2:26-28)

I remember when my grandmother was really sick and in the hospital.  The doctors didn’t know if she would make it through the night.  As the rest of us were getting ready to leave for the night I remember my mom telling me how she dreaded night during times like this. It’s lonely and scary.  It’s easier to have hope and courage when the sun is shining and the business of life pulses around us.  However, when all of that stops, the scary thoughts and worries are laid bare and can’t be ignored any longer.  It’s those times that we need to cling to God’s promises of hope mentioned in His Word.  He never promised us an easy life; a life without conflict or worry, but he did promise us that we would not have to face things alone.  He is our life, our light, our comfort, and he WILL fill us with the joy of his presence even in the midst of our night-time moments.  “No wonder my heart is glad and my tongue shouts your praises!”

Worshiping with you,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment