Friday, April 27, 2018

Learning to Love Discipline


I grew up in a small church in a little resort town in Minnesota.  I suppose our style of worship would have been called liturgical and somewhat formal.  The pastor wore vestments and the choir wore robes while processing down the aisle to their place on the platform during the first hymn. Before that happened though, the acolytes would light the candles on the altar before the service began and then at the end of the service they would come up the aisle and “take the light out”.  The acolytes were usually middle school-aged children and everyone, including myself, loved it when it was our turn to serve because this meant we could sit away from our families in the foyer and not have our parents nudging us every time we whispered or giggled at something.

I will never forget one particular Sunday morning.  My friend and I were the acolytes for the service and we were so excited! No parental control!  As soon as we did our “job” at the beginning of the service we started whispering and talking to one another.  Every once in a while, a giggle would escape our lips and we would look up anxiously seeing if anyone heard us.  When no one paid us any attention we got a bit reckless and forgot where we were because when my friend said something particularly funny, I laughed out loud.  Not a giggle or little hiccup of a laugh, it was an all-out, open mouthed, belly laugh.  Realizing where I was and what I just did, I frantically looked up to see if anyone heard me.  Yep, I saw some people turn around, but what was worse, my dad heard me.  Now my dad is a very fun-loving, kind, patient man, but we were taught that God’s house was a place of reverence and awe and my raucous hilarity was not part of that description. He stood up at his place in the front of the church, climbed over the tenor section, and marched down the aisle with his choir robe billowing all around him.  He looked like an avenging angel and I knew I was toast; crispy on all sides, hold the butter, toast.  I wondered what punishment awaited me.  I remembered the devastating cookie ban of ’74 when I got into the cookie jar and lied about it.  Oh, this was not going to be good.

My dad took me by the arm, led me to a room, sat me down and explained to me why we were having this conversation.  He explained what I did wrong and how my behavior did not show respect to God or others. Though he was disappointed in my behavior he made sure to let me know that he wasn’t disappointed in me and loved me very much.  I’m sure I was not allowed to be the acolyte for several months and had to apologize to our pastor.  I am happy to report that my dad never had to come flying down the platform in his billowing robe ever again.  I had learned my lesson about respecting others, God’s house, and what my heart attitude should be when serving Him.

Hebrews 12:10-11 says, “He (God) disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness. All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.”

Some define holiness for Christians as conforming to the will of God.  Becoming more like Him. And the fruit of those “teachable moments” is the fruit of righteousness. Just like my dad had to discipline me so I could learn a valuable lesson, my heavenly Father does the same, wanting me to have the peace that comes from a life that is free from guilt or the fear of a life separated from Him.  A peace knowing that my soul is secure and my relationship with Him strong.  Do I love to be disciplined?  No!  But I love my Father and trust Him to mold me in whatever way, shape, or form that is needed to make me more like Him.

That particular Sunday a long time ago, was just one of many “teachable” moments from my earthly father and heavenly Father.  And as discipline goes, probably the easiest to bear.  Though that cookie ban was pretty rough.

Sometimes learning the lesson the hard way with you,

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment