Thursday, January 11, 2018

Where Does Your Compass Point?



I love to watch the “Pirates of the Caribbean” movies.  I have even (dare I say it?) found myself pondering spiritual matters and seeing connections and analogies in the stories. For example:

Matthew 6:21 says, “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” brought to mind Captain Jack Sparrow’s compass.  Yes.  It’s true.  I cannot explain my brain; just go with it for now.  Jack’s compass is not an ordinary compass because it does not point North.  It points to Jack’s deepest desires.  Whatever Jack desires most the compass will point the way so he can obtain it.  So, Jack gets a ship, a crew, and the necessary supplies, heads out into open waters, and does  what a respectable pirate will do while keeping his eyes on his compass. Aargh and Yo Ho Ho! (Sorry.  I was thinking it and so, well, I just had to.)

What does your heart desire?  If you were holding Jack’s compass, where would it point? Jeremiah 29:13 says, “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” When our heart desires God, He has promised to be found. When we focus our heart and mind on our love for Him, Psalm 91:14-15 says that God will, “deliver him. I will protect him because he knows my name. When he calls out to me, I will answer him. I will be with him in his distress. I will deliver him, and I will honor him.” 

Captain Jack sought earthly treasure that would eventually be destroyed by moths, rust, or stolen by other pirates.  We sometimes do the same.  We settle for costume jewelry when we are promised heavenly treasure that will last forever. (Matthew 6:19-20)

My prayer for us as we enter into a new year is that we will keep our hearts with all vigilance on God, for from it flows the springs of life. (Proverbs 4:23)  Yes! Springs of life and treasure that lasts forever!  Now that is treasure worth seeking!  Ahoy, ye mateys and freebooters!  Let’s go!

Setting my “heart compass” on Him, 

Lisa (aka Peg-leg Sue)

No comments:

Post a Comment