Thursday, October 4, 2018

Godly Reward


“…but my words seem so useless!  I have spent my strength for nothing and to no purpose.” Isaiah 49:4a.

Do you ever feel like that?  Like Isaiah?  You work so hard trying to accomplish what you feel is God’s calling on your life and yet you see no results, no rewards, no encouragement, no nothing.  What’s even more interesting to me is right before that verse God had just told Isaiah that he, Isaiah, would bring Him glory.  Obviously, Isaiah wasn’t so sure about that and yet in the second half of verse 4 we see Isaiah’s faith shine.  He says, “Yet I leave it all in the Lord’s hand; I will trust God for my reward.”

Isaiah realized that his reward for his obedience to God was not going to come from man or this sinful world, but from God.   It’s a great reminder that our work on earth is not for others, but for the One who has called us.  Isaiah says in Chapter 50 verse 7 that “because the Sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced.  Therefore I have set my face like a stone, determined to do his will.  And I know that I will not be put to shame.”

I encourage you today to take Isaiah’s example and “set your face like a stone” and persevere in your calling.  God has called each of us for a specific purpose. “We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.” (Romans 12:6-8).  And, most importantly, it is all for God’s glory. “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” (1 Corinthians 10:31)

So, when things are discouraging and you don’t feel like you’ve made any earthly progress, look to the One who has called you in the first place.  Let Him be your measure and encouragement.  Let Him be your reward.  Be determined to do his will knowing that you will not be put to shame when you serve your God in loving obedience because he is faithful and “Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus”. (Philippians 1:6)

Praying that God’s truth about you and your calling will penetrate your heart today and spur you on to worship our truly amazing God!

Serving and worshiping alongside you today,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment