Thursday, August 23, 2018

Interlude

“How lovely is your dwelling place, O LORD of Heaven’s Armies. I long, yes, I faint with longing to enter the courts of the LORD.  With my whole being, body and soul, I will shout joyfully to the living God.  Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow builds her nest and raises her young at a place near your altar,   O LORD of Heaven’s Armies, my King and my God!  What joy for those who can live in your house, always singing your praises. Interlude” Psalm 84:1-4 (NLT)

Longing.  Fainting. I am struck with how passionately the author expresses his desire to be in God’s presence or how fun it will be to sing his praises continually.  However, today my eyes keep getting drawn to the directional word, “interlude”.  A lot of times you’ll see the word “selah”.  This implies a time of reflection.  The composer of the Psalm wants the singers to pause, reflect, and meditate on what was just sung.  He wants people to stop and really think about the words and their impact before moving on.  

Our fast-paced, overly-booked, overly-worked society doesn’t allow much time for “interlude” and reflection. So, I’m challenging you to slow down right now.  Read the verses above or maybe another verse that has been on your mind today.  Take a moment.  Don’t rush through the words.  Pause and reflect on what the Lord is telling you.  Sometimes the sweetest worship experience is just being quiet before the Lord soaking in His word and resting in His presence.

May you have many “interludes” with our Lord today,

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment