Thursday, June 28, 2018

He Did What?


Music has always been my first love.  There are pictures of me on the piano before I could walk, but in early high school, I started babysitting for our neighbor who was a large animal veterinarian and I decided that, maybe I might want to be a vet as well.  I loved animals and along with music, I was an avid reader and James Herriot was my hero in the vet world. So, my vet neighbor graciously let me go on call with him. 

I was so excited when the phone rang one day, and he said, “Lisa.  I have to go and take care of a pig with a protruding uterus.  Wanna come?” Yes!  My heart was a flutter!  Why so excited?  Because all the other calls and rounds that I had been on with him before were not so exciting.  For most of the summer, I was wading in ankle deep manure, pushing my way through cows or pigs the size of small horses.  I should have known from day one that this was not my calling.

My first day with the vet was spent doing herd checks.  This is basically a pregnancy test. Since I didn’t know what my role would be when I rode out on these calls, I was relieved to be handed the clip board when I saw what you had to do to see if the cow was pregnant.  I don’t know what I was expecting, but it surely wasn’t what happened as I saw the vet’s hand go into the cow (from the back if you get my meaning) all the way up to his elbow.  Seriously?  There has to be another way!  This career idea was looking less appealing by the cow!

it just went downhill after that…I found the daily routine of a country vet in Wright County, Minnesota, was not as exciting as James Herriot wrote it to be.  Apparently, veterinary medicine in Darrowby, Yorkshire England is more varied and eventful.  However, my vet neighbor?  He loved every minute of it. 

Needless to say, I did not pursue a career in veterinary medicine and went back to my first love, music.  That was God’s plan all along, though I feel like He got a certain enjoyment watching me discover what He already knew; I was not created to be a vet.

Ephesians 2:10 says, “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”  His workmanship.  His pre-planned creation.

For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.” (Romans 12:4-8)

We are all different with the same purpose; to glorify God in what He has called and created us to do. For me, it’s not through veterinary medicine, but through a beautiful melody or thought-provoking words.  For you it might be teaching, serving, or leading.  Whatever it is, we all work together as one like a beautiful harmonious symphony; each part unique but essential to the whole. 

Never underestimate your role in the Kingdom of God.  Our Father is intentional and purposeful in all He does.  His plans for you are perfect even if it involves the not so glamorous task of herd checks.

Thankful I’m holding the clipboard,

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment