Thursday, March 8, 2018

What's in YOUR Vessel?


As I was reading my Bible today, a commercial came to mind. We have all seen the Capital One Venture card commercial where they promise more airline miles and better service over other cards that promise similar benefits.  They imply that if you have their card in your wallet, good things will happen; things that are helpful and useful to you. Basically, if you have any other card in your wallet, it is useless and not beneficial. Their slogan, “What’s in your wallet?” was inducted into the Advertising Walk of Fame as one of the 16 Greatest Slogans in History.  Yes, I know this.  Why?  I don’t know.  My husband calls me a “marketers dream”.  What can I say? I am a slogan and jingle junkie.  For some reason, my brain is hard-wired for them.  I’m sure that if someone put the Bible into the form of various jingles and made the main points into slogans, I would have the whole thing memorized in a week.  I’m glad no one has, but I DO memorize Scripture best if I sing it or add rhythm to it.  My Psalm 40 rap is out of this world!  Just kidding.  Kind of.  (We’ll talk later.)

When I read 2 Timothy 2:20-21 the slogan “What’s in your wallet?” came to mind.  It says, “In a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but of wood and clay; some for honor and some for dishonor.  Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from the latter he will be a vessel of honor, sanctified and useful for the Master; prepared for every good work.”  One vessel for honor another for dishonor.  if this passage were a credit card commercial it may say, “Capital One Clay Card. What’s in your vessel?”

If your vessel were to crack open or spill over what would come out?  Timothy says that if our vessel is filled with dishonor, things that do not bring glory to God, we are not useful or prepared for the work the Master has for us; useless.  So, how do we become useful?  By asking Father to cleanse us of what is not worthy of Him or does not give Him glory.  Sanctified means to become pure, set apart, clean; ready and waiting for the good work God has planned for us. 

One vessel useless and full of empty promises or one sanctified and promise-filled.  What’s in your vessel?

With the Spirit’s help, cleaning out my vessel with you,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment