Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Worship and an African Village

The summer of 1986 was an exciting one for me.  I was on tour in South Africa with Carpenter’s Tools; a music ministry out of Youth for Christ that was made up of 10 high school students from all over East and West Central Minnesota.  Our performances were made up of Christian cover tunes, testimonies, and times of sharing one-on-one with students as we came to their schools, churches, parks, and even TV studios.  My experience in Carpenter’s Tools over the years, taught me how music is a universal language that can knock down barriers, connects people together, and provides a way to talk to others about God.  And on one particular night in a small African village, I also saw first-hand what true worship looked like.

We were a little over half-way on our tour when we ended up in a small village.  I can still feel the dust that was everywhere and smell the smoke from burning tires they used as fuel.  The air was so thick with these things that it was hard to breathe as we unloaded our instruments, equipment, and generator.  Because of the remote location and limited resources, we were unable to use all of our “techy” stuff.  It was very pared down and I wondered how it would go as a mostly acoustical set.  Could we pull it off?  Will we sound O.K?  These people were hoping to hear a professional group and we were limited in what we could do.  The pressure was on. 

As we prepared to perform, our contact for that church told us that the place was packed and that some had walked over 20 miles to be there.  O.K., now I was really nervous!  However, I was so excited to meet these people who would go to such great lengths to come and hear about God through music.  I hoped God would use me to draw them into worship of Him, but instead, when all was said and done, the African village people transported me.

As we sang our songs their hands were raised, voices lifted up, and on their faces radiated joy, contentment, and awe like nothing I had ever seen before.  It left me speechless at first and then I sang until I thought my heart would burst from being so caught up in the worship.  When we finished our performance, their musicians took the stage and we had another hour of music and fellowship together.

When I reflected on it later, I was still letting it all settle in my heart. Here was a group of people who had next to nothing in this world.  Their church consisted of dirt floors and benches.  No electricity for fancy instruments, lights, sound, and fog machines.  Just a building with a single podium and a people whose worship wasn’t dependent on what was happening on the outside or their talents and resources.  Their worship came from within and the knowledge of who their God was and a close relationship with Him.

Hebrews 12:28 says, “Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe,”.  The worship of those African village people was pure, holy, and so inspiring.  I realized then that sometimes I feel like our worship is dependent on ourselves and the environment or we worship because that is what the Bible says we are to do.  (The Lord says:) “These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.” (Isaiah 29:13) May our hearts be like those in that African village.  Close to God and the result of our knowledge and love for Him that cannot be contained.  

As you and I prepare for large group worship on Sunday.  I pray that we would come prepared to magnify God and not allow our “selves” to get in the way.  Many times, it’s easy to come to church hoping to hear our favorite songs sung, our favorite verses read, or favorite preaching style preached, and so on.  But I pray you come with anticipation of God’s presence, His Word made alive in you, His love showered upon your heart.  Expect to be moved by His Spirit and not necessarily by the elements that make up our time together.  God can use those things, yes, but He doesn’t need them to make an impression on a heart that is open to His still small voice.

Worshiping with you today,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment