Thursday, February 8, 2018

Apple Of My Eye

“Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings” 
Psalm 17:8

“Keep me as the apple of your eye”.  The original Hebrew for this idiom is 'iyshown 'ayin and can be literally translated as "Little Man of the Eye." This is a reference to the tiny reflection of yourself that you can see in other people's pupils. Figuratively it is something, or more usually someone, cherished above others.

In order for a reflection to be caught in someone’s eye and for you to be able to see that reflection they must have their gaze directed and fixed on you, and you must be standing near enough to them to see that reflection.  Oh, to be that close and intimate with our God and Creator! Just the mere thought of such intimacy inspires worship in my heart!

“I will proclaim your name O Lord and praise your greatness!  You are my Rock and your works are perfect and all your ways are just.  I lift you up because you are my faithful God who does no wrong; who is upright and just.  Show me the wonders of your great love and keep me as the apple of your eye; I praise you because you alone are the Most High over all the earth.”  
(Deuteronomy 32:3-4, Psalm 17:7-8, Psalm 83:18b)

Worshiping with you today,

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment